313 Reads! Reading Initiative for Detroit Kids
April 17, 2020
313 Reads! is a citywide initiative that works to ensure that all Detroit children read at grade level by 3rd grade.
Why 3rd grade reading matters
After 3rd grade, students switch from learning how to read to using reading skills to learn other subjects like math, science, and history. Without a strong reading foundation by 3rd grade, students may start to fall behind. Third-grade reading is also the most important predictor of high school graduation and career success.
What parents can do
There are several organizations in the community that provide resources to help children succeed and develop their language and literacy skills. Call or visit their websites to see what resources are available to you and your family.
Resources – 0–4 years
Early language and literacy
- Black Family Development – (313) 758-0150
- Brainiacs Clubhouse – (313) 469-1310
- Brilliant Detroit – (313) 483-8992
- Detroit Parent Network – (313) 309-8100
- Development Centers – (313) 531-2500
- Great Start Collaborative Wayne County – (734) 225-6616
- Starfish Family Services – (313) 388-9799
Resources – 5–9 years
Tutoring programs and summer learning
- Access Community – (313) 842-7010
- Center for Success – (313) 320-8961
- GOAL Line – Community Education Commission – (313) 224-1222
- Developing K.I.D.S. – (888) 294-6554
- Downtown Boxing Gym Youth Programs – (313) 209-3029
- Soar Tutoring – (313) 221-9080
- Wellspring – (313) 255-9085
Summer Fun Centers
Through a partnership with the City of Detroit Parks & Recreation Department and Detroit Public Schools Community District, Detroit students ages 6-17 can participate in free recreational activities and tutoring services at 12 Summer Fun Centers across the city.
Limited space available; registration information can be found here.
With Summer Spark, you can find summer programs that match your child’s interest and fit your schedule.
- Detroit Public Library
- Detroit Public Television
- Every School Day Counts
- Hope Starts Here
- Michigan Department of Education
Did you know?
Parents and students can visit a Detroit Public Library branch for free access to ABC Mouse Early Learning Academy. This online tool helps children ages 2-8 develop their reading skills using fun games and exercises. Visit a library branch to get your library card and get started! Click here to find a library branch near you.