Financial Assistance for Early Education

April 17, 2020


Early Childhood Education

If you cannot afford to enroll your child in child care, you may qualify for financial assistance.

If you cannot afford to enroll your child in child care, you may qualify for financial assistance through one of the following federal, state or local programs.

Do you know of other financial resources for early childhood education? Please email with the details.

Head Start and Early Head Start

Head Start programs provide a learning environment that supports children’s growth in many areas such as language, literacy, and social and emotional development. Head Start emphasizes the role of parents as their child’s first and most important teacher. Many Head Start programs also provide Early Head Start, which serves infants, toddlers, and pregnant women and their families who have incomes below the Federal poverty level.

Identify and connect with a Head Start provider near you or apply online to be contacted by participating providers in the city.

Children from birth to age five from families with low income are eligible for Head Start and Early Head Start services. Pregnant women may also be eligible for Early Head Start. Children in foster care, homeless children, and children from families receiving public assistance (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families or Supplemental Security Income) are categorically eligible for Head Start and Early Head Start services regardless of income.

Great Start to Readiness Program (GSRP – PreK)

GSRP is a Michigan state-funded preschool program for four-year-old children with key factors which may place them at risk of educational failure.

Call Wayne RESA’s Educational referral hotline to begin the enrollment process: (833) FourYearOld (833-368-7327) or fill out a referral form online, selecting “Preschool – Early Head Start, Head Start, or GSRP” as the service to be referred to.

Child Development and Care Program (a state subsidy)

Financial assistance for early childhood education and care is available from the State of Michigan to parents and guardians that meet income and need requirements. You must also identify a provider to use the assistance with prior to receiving the funding. If you plan to use a license exempt child care provider who is not currently enrolled by the Department of Education, you will also need to have your provider complete the Child Development and Care License Exempt Provider Application.

Apply through the MIbridges portal (complete benefits application) or complete this PDF (child care specific) and mail it to the address listed.

Detroit SOARs

Detroit SOARs is a local scholarship program that provides financial support to offset childcare tuition at participating 4 and 5 star providers for Detroit children under age five based on income requirements. Assistance may also be available for families waiting to hear back from their application to the Michigan Child Development and Care Program.

Apply through their online application.

Program contact(s): Sonya Roseberry (313) 655-8434 or Wiltrice Rogers (313) 613-9642