The Conant Gardens Historic District is bounded by Nevada, Conant and Seven Mile in north Detroit. The land once belonged to Shubael Conant, an abolitionist and the founder and first president of the Detroit Anti-Slavery Society in 1837. The area was not populated until the 1920s due to the rise of automation. Black American people realized that they could live free in the neighborhood due to a lack of restrictions on Black Americans who purchased property. Many Black American families built their own homes in Conant Gardens or moved into pre-existing homes in the area.